Monday, December 04, 2006

All Things Gaucho

This weekend was a gaucho (the Argentine version of a cowboy) themed weekend with a little beach thrown in, and since I am 3/4 country girl and 1/3 beach bum, I was quite content. Friday we headed up the river to the closest thing to a beach Buenos Aires has, even though it is considered a port town. On Saturday Emily and I went to San Antonio de Areco, which is the epicenter of gaucho lore. It is a very quaint, quiet, and picturesque town, with a charming plaza, cobbled streets, more kids on bikes than actual traffic, and a park with a swimming hole, where half the town was cooling off from the 85 degree weather. We toured an replica of an estancia, or estate, where my favorite part was the pulperia, or general store or tavern. During the 19th century, the pulperias were gathering places for gauchos to rest and tomar algo, or have a drink. However, the pulperia owners would only let gauchos the owners knew into the main part of the bar, and that theme was carried out outside with the horses, where only the horses of the gauchos that were friends of the pulperia could drink at the water trough inside the pulperia's yard, and the rest had to drink at the water trough on the other side of the fence. We also went horseback riding!Sunday we went to the Feria de Mataderos, a weekly rural-style festival in one of the barrios of BA. We got to see actual gauchos strutting their stuff: country and folkloric dances, vendors selling productos del campo, and even a gymkhana-esque game where they hang a small ring from a pole and a mounted gaucho gallops at full speed while holding a pen-like instrument and spears the ring. I was ready to try it if only they would have given me a horse!

Below is a video of their game, with some unintentional commentary by myself. Sam and Grandpa, if you read this, I think we could get Wats and Cally to do this no problem!




And, no experience in Buenos Aires would be complete without an adventure on the colectivo. I confidently guided my friend Jackey onto the 55 to get us home, not realizing that we were going the wrong direction until a half hour later, making a hour trip home a two hour tour of Buenos Aires.

2 Comments:

At December 06, 2006 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cowboys, huh? Nice.

Well, I heard a couple "cowboys" might be bringing their horses to drink at a certain water trough... nevermind... I'm not starting anything.

When do you get back to SLO? Will you make it karaoke?

 
At December 06, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger aprilmae said...

Oh, you so started that! There better not be anything going on in SLO that I should know about but don't!

Alas, I will be en route to CA at the time of the celebrity party, so I will miss out. But, I am back in town on the 18th, and needs lots of quality SLO hang out times!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home