Thursday, November 09, 2006

All About Trash

One thing that is interesting here in Buenos Aires is the trash. For some reason no one has large trash cans anywhere in the house, not even the kitchen, but little bathroom-sized cans. Of course, this means they fill up quickly, and so the cans are emptied often and trash pick-up happens every weeknight in city. Unlike in the States, where we have large trashbins at the ends of the driveways, here they just set the trash out on the curb right outside the door. Well, last night I was walking to the parada, or bus stop, and as I passed by my neighbor's front door, she opened the door and threw her trash bag out, without even checking for any pedestrians on the sidewalk. As I dodged her trash, I reminded myself that it could have been a worse object to be nearly pelted with - at least we are no longer living in the Middle Ages, and it wasn't someone's slops being tossed out the door.

2 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like walking the streets of Buenos Aires is a dangerous undertaking- with trash flying out from doorways and the monton of dogs in doing their business in front of you. Hey, that sounds like a cool video game... like Paperboy for the old Nintendo... memories.
And it wasn't just slops that went flying into the streets back in the Middle Ages. :)
Anyways, have fun!

 
At November 17, 2006 7:05 AM, Blogger aprilmae said...

Christion - It is dangerous - and I haven't even mentioned the crazy porteno drivers and their complete disregard for any sort of traffic laws. I pray every time I cross the street that I will make it to the other side!
PS What else went flying into the streets in the Middle Ages?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home