Thursday, October 12, 2006

Vamos, River, Vamos!

On Sunday I went to the Superclásico, or derby, between River Plate and Boca Juniors, the two biggest home soccer teams in Buenos Aires. The rivalry between the two teams and their fans is so intense that attending a Superclásico was listed one of the 50 sporting things to do by The Observer, and it definitely lived up to the hype. The game was at the River Plate stadium, and the fans for the two teams were kept separate at all times - the Boca section was surrounded by a 6 ft fence topped with barbed wire, military style, and the different fans enter and exit separetly. The police even keep the 65,000+ River fans inside the staduim after the game until every last Boca fan has left to avoid post-game fights. Watching the fans was more of a show than the actual game - they are really into futbol. They are on their feet the whole game, and they have a litany of cheers that the entire stadium chants during the game. Each time River scored the stadium went crazy - the fans would jump of their seats, climb the fence, hug and kiss each other, grown men would cry tears of joy. One guy next to us kept kissing his River scarf and praying and crossing himself during game. His prayers were answered, because River won 2-1. The Boca fans, however, weren't too happy, and began throwing things down onto the River fans.

12 Comments:

At October 19, 2006 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! I wanna go to a fútbol game!
I like the story about the guy crossing himself and kissing the scarf- that'd be Justin if he was born in Argentina. :)

 
At October 23, 2006 1:14 PM, Blogger aprilmae said...

I so agree - that would totally have been Justin!

 
At October 23, 2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Huenuman said...

great show ..but i boca junior's fun so it's bad memories for me this photos..jeje.. goog blogg

 
At October 25, 2006 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, yes... we all want tango pictures. April, you better give them to the shell shackers because they're going crazy without them- they're trying to get Aaron and Sara to do it because they can't get any lovin' from you.

PS: I've noticed something from the last few comments to your thought. This is just an observation to ponder- April, Charity, and Devon all have blogs. Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse? :)

 
At October 25, 2006 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aahhh, mistyping... thought = blog

 
At October 25, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger aprilmae said...

Christion, if it was just Charity and me, I would say no, since Charity's is more of a leftover from her OC days, and mine is specifically a way to keep in touch with friends and fam, and share my trip with them, and as much as I enjoy it now, I know that it is not something I will do on a regular basis when I get home - this ain't no FUZZBOARD! :) But it is ominous that our favorite non-technical blond who shall not be named has a blog!

 
At October 25, 2006 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok..ok..in my defense the reason I started a stinkin blog was to post comments on your blog..april it was all a labor of love for you!

 
At October 25, 2006 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND... I haven't even written anything on my blog and I am already getting crap!! wait til I write something...it will be amazing and soon everybody will be coming to my blog to read my fascinating thoughts and ponder on how amazing my blogs are..and I will take over all the fuzzboard users and soon they will no longer visit fuzzboard but come to my blog!! For the record I am getting more technical, I figured out how to get the subtitles off the tv when charity got them on there, I figured out how to post comments and I changed my own headlight in my car!

 
At October 25, 2006 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

april, I just got your message.. I am at work right now and it was so good to hear your voice! I miss you a ton, try to call back around 7 our time if it is not too late for you. Charity and I are going to San Fran this weekend to visit Kristin and dance the night away..a much needed girls vacation!! wish you were here. I will dance to promiscious girl for you!!
- I know i have posted alot of comments in a row..is this a blog no no, I don't know the blog ettiquite

 
At October 25, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

opps typo etiquette-yet another commnent

 
At October 26, 2006 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOAH, I guess I hit a nerve, and I was just making an observation. Since I sit at a computer all day, I get bored during my breaks and I'm glad my friends post interesting stuff for me to read. This especially goes for my friends currently in other countries, because otherwise I'm relying soley on their old roommates for info... and who knows what they might be telling me (*ahem*... tangoing like havana nights... *ahem*). So please, everyone, keep bloggin on. I ain't sippin on no hater-ade.

PS: Devon, you have another typo in your typo-correction. :)

 
At October 26, 2006 11:00 AM, Blogger aprilmae said...

well, the interesting thing is that I have it set so that you don't need a blog or blogger account to post comments on mine. care to explain why, Mr. Fuzzboard? and Charity, I am not sure if the tango pics are blog-appropriate - you just might have to wait till I get home to see those!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home